Sunday, May 29, 2016

Return to Ireland - Fleadh Nua

Friday we attended the Fleadh Nua (Flaw Nu ah) in Ennis. This is a week of traditional Irish dance and music is celebrated.

All Irish children learn Irish and traditional music in school.

The venue we attended was at the Bia Agus Caife. First we had breakfast there, and the musicians started around 11:00. People just sit around and enjoy the music. No charge, just come and enjoy.

We actually found the place completely by accident or, by a miracle. Seems every time we try and figure out where some place is, we either get lost or can't find out where they hid the street names. Anyway, we were looking for a coffee shop (Fred was going through coffee withdrawal), we turned a corner and there was the place we were looking for the Bia Agus Caife. Go figure. 

So we went in for coffee. As we sat there, I looked across the street and I saw the Franciscan Friary. I said, Praise Jesus I think I have time to go to Mass before the concert. Then as I was getting ready to leave the coffees shop, I noticed a lovely little old man at the Friary entrance, who was combing his hair from the Holy Water font outside the door. I think he needed a spruce up before Mass.

Mass was wonderful, breakfast we had at the cafe upon my return was wonderful (blueberry pancakes and Canadian maple syrup no less, swine strips, and for Fred a lovely omelet), and the concert was outstanding.

When it was over we went to O'Connell's square where three children's primary schools were having their own concert.

What a brilliant day.

















No comments:

Post a Comment